What is the role and responsibility of the referring school?
- Completion of application form.
- Obtain parent approval and signature.
- Provide current Special Education Plan (academic and behavioural).
- Provide current information from other service providers (i.e., Mental Health, Family and Community Services, Public Safety, Addiction Services).
- Provide current/relevant assessments (i.e., learning, behavioural).
- Provide all necessary academic resources to ensure successful mastery of identified educational and behavioural outcomes.
- Select a mentor (school contact person).
What is the procedure once the application is received at the Office of the Superintendent?
- Education Supervisor to receive application and forward to Alternative Eeducation program administrator.
- Administrator to conduct a team meeting to review application.
- Administrator will provide in writing the decision of the application and the student’s entry date in the case of a positive decision.
What is the process once a student has been accepted to the Alternative Education program?
The Alternative Education program administrator will facilitate an orientation meeting with the parent, student, and respective support team within five school days.
What is the role and responsibility of the Alternative Education teacher?
- To report monthly attendance to the home school.
- To input behavioural data in the student data system (Win School).
- To track and forward credits/marks to the home school.
- To conduct tri-annual reviews of the Special Education Plan in conjunction with the home school.
- To contact the referring school to establish scheduled meetings between mentor and student.
- To establish a transition plan at the termination of the Alternative Education placement.
What is the pedagogical structure/academic priorities of Alternative Education?
Math, English/Language Arts, and one other academic subject. In addition, behavioural support and remediation is part of the program.
Who is responsible for the transportation of students to and from an Alternative Education center?
The Anglophone East School District Transportation department.
Who can make an application to the Alternative Education program?
How long can a student remain in Alternative Education?
The goal is to reintegrate students back to the regular school. The length of time would vary from a few months, one semester, or an entire school year depending on the student’s progress.
What if a parent disagrees with the school’s decision to refer their child to Alternative Education?
- Parents would be invited to a meeting to discuss the reasons for the referral.
- The intended outcome of the meeting would be to come up with a decision on the student’s placement that both parties agree on.
- Ultimately, the Superintendent could decide that the student will be placed in an alternate setting. If the parents disagree with this decision they have the right to appeal.