Project 1: "Just Another Stick In The Wall"
Miniature Scaled Home Construction and Safety Certification
Quick Links to Project Sections
- Description and Overview
- Safety certification and training
- Video tutorial for sketch and scaled drawing
- Sketch and Scaled Drawing
- Video Series for Wall Construction
- Finished Product Examples
- Video Series for Enrichment Full House Construction
Description and Overview:
You will be building a miniature scaled wall of a house using skills and terminology directly from industry. This project can be expanded to a point where you can build the entire miniature home and then add customization such as turning your scaled home into a working lamp. Pay close attention to the terms and techniques in the supporting video and use them in dialogue and practice with your instructor and peers. The skills learned in this project can be directly transferred to modern build sites with the exception of the method for holding the lumber together which is typically screws and nails on site.
- To create a miniature house wall to scale.
- To learn and appropriately use terminology associated with construction.
- To understand and identify the workplace hazards on a build site and proper tool safety.
- To identify areas of study and opportunities in the current job market requiring these construction skills and interests.
Recommended Group Size:
- Individuals to complete one wall.
- Pairs or Individuals to complete a full structure.
- 150 popsicle sticks (full structure)
- Wood glue
- Wood for foundation (or Pin Board)
- Finishing nails or pins for supports
- Small saw
- A Ruler (inches and metric if possible)
- Computer or device with video playback and sound playback compatibility
- Internet or other access to instructional videos (DVD, Mobile Device storage etc..)
Time Required: 5 - 15 hours
- The Safety Component (3 hours)
- The Wall Construction Prep (1 hour)
- The Wall Construction (2 hours)
- The Job Market and Education Analysis (1 hour)
- The Complete Structure Prep, Drawings and Construction (6 hours)
- Customization (1 hour)
- Formal Assessment (1 hour)
Your Instructor will assess your completed wall for measurement, strength, and overall quality of the build
Your Instructor may have a formal test prepared on terminology and technical aspects of the build
The workplace Safety component has its own built in assessment standards but will be weighted in your mark
The Career aspect of the project may be accompanied by a written assessment or feedback piece
Overall Items to Consider:
- Measure, cut, and build it right the first time
- Though the tools are minor in scale they can do real damage if the proper care and respect are not given to them
- If you enjoy this construction module you will have the opportunity to continue the rest of the structure. Register your intentions to do so as soon as possible with your instructor.
- Avoid waste of materials as this costs money on the job site and marks in the BBT atmosphere