Registration for Newcomers
Kindergarten Newcomer register through the Newcomer Support Centre. Newcomer students can be any of the following:
- all non-Canadian citizens who are arriving directly from outside Canada
- all Canadian citizens who are arriving directly from outside Canada
The Newcomer Support Centre is positioned to register Kindergarten newcomers through a virtual registration process. Please email email@example.com or call (506) 444-3573 to set up a virtual registration appointment for the family and confirm eligibility prior to student registration.
- all non-Canadians (e.g. permanent residents, children of parents on work or study permits) who are transferring to ASD-W
Registration for Canadian students
Your child is considered a “Canadian student” if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The language spoken at home is English or French
Note: if your child is a Canadian citizen returning directly from outside of Canada, please see the "Registration for Newcomers" section above.
If your child does not meet the above requirements, they may be considered a “Newcomer.” Please see the “Registration for Newcomers” section above for more information.
Which school will my child attend?
All children whose primary residence is located within the tentative Hanwell School catchment area outlined below will attend Hanwell School for kindergarten.
All children whose primary residence is not located within the tentative Hanwell School catchment area will attend the school indicated by the school locator.
Note: Hanwell School catchement information is not yet included in the school locator. If you live within the tentative Hanwell School catchment area please disregard the zoning information provided by the school locator.
What do I need to bring to my child's registration?
The following items need to be brought to your child’s appointment:
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Your child’s Medicare card
- Your child’s immunization documents
Please bring photocopies or scanned originals of the documents. If you are unable to provide copies, we can copy the documents for you on site.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, you must follow the following steps during your child's appointment:
- When possible, send only 1 person to register your child
- Wear a mask at all times
- Follow all safety requirements
How do I register my child?
For children outside the tentative Hanwell Catchment area
Due to a major upgrade, the student Preregistration site is currently offline for an undetermined period of time. If you are looking to register your child for the 2021-2022 school year, please contact your school or school district for details. If you are looking to register your child for the 2022-2023 school year (September 2022), we recommend waiting and revisiting the site in the near future. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Register your child through the online registration form (note: online registrations are currently disabled).
- Shortly after completing the form, you will receive a call from the school in your catchment area. They will arrange a time for you to come and complete your child’s kindergarten registration.
If you cannot register online, please reach out to your school to schedule an appointment to register onsite. You can find the school in your catchment area using the school finder.
Please bring the necessary documentation listed above and complete the paper-based registration documents below:
For children inside the tentative Hanwell Catchment area
Do not register online. Instead, you will have the opportunity to register your child for kindergarten at the Hanwell Community Centre on October 12 and 13, 2021, from 8:30AM to 4:30PM. Kindergarten registration forms will be filled out in person at the Hanwell Centre. Please bring the necessary documentation listed above.